Friday, June 5, 2009

Cultural Elements

My new work is done in this new methodology to push my conceptual side. I have been working on a complicated piece of work. Each group of work has a meaning. Each group is divided into three pieces: the past, the present and the future. The past is represented by a back drop fabric with finished and unfinished edges depending on the group it belong to. It is also beaded in Morse code. The present is represented with a woven structure woven traditionally with different materials such as sewing threads, unprocessed hemp, paper, wire, gold or silver thread, wool or ramie. The future is represented by a hand woven lace veil made out of steel wool, wool and ramie yarns with some sewing threads. This veil is also beaded with Morse code. I feel that Morse code is like a lost language and being in the engineering field, it is close to me. It is also a dying language being replace with other forms of communication methods brought on by our ever growing electronic era. I feel that this communication tool is like being a ESL student as myself because learning Morse code would be like learning a new language which you may not understand it completely until you master it. I have chosen many rarely used words for each group. Why cultural elements then? You may ask. It is cultural because each group represents the 5 elements of the Chinese zodiac which metal, wood, fire, water and earth. It represents my heritage and my cultural background. I still have not named this show yet but look forward to show it. I will keep you posted on the event date and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment